History

The Tryon River is one of significant historical importance on Prince Edward Island, which can be traced back to the Paleolithic Indians who camped on its shores. It was also the river which winds through Lot 28, owned by Captain Samuel Holland, the Surveyor General for eastern North America. Samuel Holland and his wife (Marie Josette Rolette) and family lived on land overlooking the river from the west side. Their descendants have lived in this area since.

Stanfield’s Woolen Mill, 1910

Ive’s, Lord’s, and Stanfield’s ponds were the sites of early industry, which included lumber, woolen garment, flour and electricity. Ponds were also created to improve wildlife habitat and provide recreational opportunities. Today only two small man made ponds remain, Lord`s and Craig’s (located on the Branch Road).

HOME